Find out where you can camp, or park your motorhome in and near Cambridge
Types of Camping
Camping in the Waipā District is regulated by Reserve Management Plan policies for each park and reserve. Freedom camping covers two different types of camping; contained camping and conventional camping.
- Contained camping refers to self-contained motor homes and camper vans that require self-containment certification.
- Conventional camping refers to any tent, caravan or other vehicle that does not need to be certified as a self-contained unit.
Where you can dump waste:
Matos Segedin Dr, Cambridge 3495, New Zealand (open map)
Free Camping Sites
Lakeside Areas of Arapuni and Karāpiro
- Contained camping: up to two consecutive nights stay permitted
- Conventional camping: no conventional overnight camping on any lakeside reserve permitted
- Arapuni Landing, access via Arapuni Landing Road off Te Ana Road.
- Bulmer’s Landing, access via Bulmer’s Road.
- Moana Roa Recreational Reserve, access via SH1.
- Keeley Recreational Reserve, access via SH1.
- Bob’s Landing, access via corner Maungatautari Road and SH1.
- Horahora Domain, access via Maungatautari Road.
Please note for Freedom Camping (Fully Self Contained Campervans) at the Horahora Domain, there is the option to park on a Private Land Owners Property. $5 per person.
Free Running Water
Contact: Alan Eason
Phone: 0274 844 097
Coastal Freedom Camping Option – West Coast
Oparau Roadhouse, 4370 State Highway 31, Kawhia Road, Oparau
Phone: 07 871 0683
Pitch your tent for free or park your van for free ($5 charge if you require power). There are no kitchen or shower facilities, but you can use the public toilets in the Roadhouse (open 6.30am – 8.30pm seven days).
Paid Sites: (Powered and Non-Powered Available)
Reservations for all paid sites can be made through Cambridge i-SITE Visitor Centre.
Phone. 07 823 3456
Lake Karapiro Mighty River Domain
Cambridge Top 10 Holiday Park
- Non powered camping sites (from $18 NZD p/n)
- Sit back, relax and enjoy a free hot shower. Spacious sites with all year-round option within a 5-minute walk to the fabulous five stags restaurant and Leamington shopping centre.
- Powered Camper van/tent sites (from $25 NZD p/n)
- Free wifi and hot showers and a short stroll to cafes, restaurants, walking and bike trails.
Powered sites (26) and camp sites are offered when they are not holding events or hosting groups. Facilities for campers include a shared kitchen, covered deck, washrooms and hot showers, pool, coin laundry, WIFI vouchers, wood fired BBQ’s.
* Kids under 5 are free at Narrows.