Find out where you can camp, or park your motorhome in and near Cambridge
Types of Camping in Waipa District
Camping in the Waipā District is regulated by Reserve Management Plan policies for each park and reserve. Freedom camping covers two different types of camping; contained camping and conventional camping.
- Contained camping refers to self-contained motor homes and camper vans that require self-containment certification.
- Conventional camping refers to any tent, caravan or other vehicle that does not need to be certified as a self-contained unit.
Contained Camping Guidelines
Enjoy your stay at one of our camping areas and respect our guidelines.
A maximum stay of two consecutive nights.
Park only in the designated parking area.
Please take all your litter with you.
Fires are not permitted on any public conservation land including parks, reserves, campgrounds or DOC Areas.
Dogs must be on a lead at all times when on Council parks and reserves, unless the areas are designated otherwise.
If you see there is more than the allocated number of campers at a site, please move on to another available campground.
Where you can dump waste:
Matos Segedin Dr, Cambridge 3495, New Zealand (open map)
Free Camping Sites
Karapiro and Arapuni Lakeside Camping
- Contained camping: up to two consecutive nights stay permitted
- Conventional camping: no conventional overnight camping on any lakeside reserve permitted
- Arapuni Landing access via Arapuni Landing Road off Te Ana Road (142 Arapuni Road, Wharepapa south. A quiet spot with amazing views. Public toilets
- Bulmer’s Landing access via Bulmer’s Road, Wharepapa South. Another beautiful campsite, right on the waters edge. A peaceful paradise.
- Moana Roa Recreational Reserve access via State Highway 1, approx 17 km south of Cambridge. Toilets and a fresh water tap
- Keeley Recreational Reserve access via State Highway 1, another beautiful Lake karapiro campsite and a great spot to launch your boat.
- Horahora Domain 2307 Maungatautari Road.
Paid Sites: Powered and Non-Powered Available
Reservations for all paid sites can be made through Cambridge isite Visitor Information Centre.
Phone. 07 823 3456
Cambridge Raceway is available for New Zealand Motor Caravan Association Members
The Raceway has non-powered overnight stay parking for NZMCA members only. $10.00 per van, per night, with payment to be made at the Clubhouse – which is on site at the Raceway. Secure parking, fresh drinking water, pets on lead are allowed. Download parking & Freshwater map HERE. The park will generally be available all year, including on race days but there are some exceptions. To check availability, text STAY to 4989 or phone 0274 888 454 For more information visit www.cambridgeraceway.co.nz
Lake Karapiro Mighty River Domain
Cambridge Top 10 Holiday Park
- Non powered camping sites (from $30 NZD p/n)
- Sit back, relax and enjoy a free hot shower. Spacious sites with all year-round option within a 5-minute walk to the fabulous five stags restaurant and Leamington shopping centre.
- Powered Camper van/tent sites (from $35 NZD p/n)
- Free wifi and hot showers and a short stroll to cafes, restaurants, walking and bike trails.
Powered sites (26) and camp sites are offered when they are not holding events or hosting groups. Please call ahead.
Facilities for campers include a shared kitchen, covered deck, washrooms and hot showers, pool, coin laundry, WIFI vouchers, wood fired BBQ’s.
* Kids under 5 are free at Narrows.