Alpaca Experience (previously Waiheke Alpaca) is a well established working Alpaca farm located on SH1 approximately five minutes south of Cambridge. The property is on route to Hobbiton, Rotorua, and Waitomo tourist attractions. The 60 acre farm operates on organic principles made up of flat and rolling hills and includes extensive elevated rural views toward the Matamata area and Maungatautari scenic reserve.
The farm animals include
- Large alpaca herd (both suri and huacaya breeds in all colours)
- Angora (mohair fleece) and saanen (milking) goats
- Donkeys including miniature
- Cattle including Jersey Galloway and Dexter breeds
As the property is located on a state highway care needs be taken when entering and leaving the property due to this being a busy road. There is extensive off road parking and a bus turning area. The farm buildings have wheel chair access with toilets.
- Feeding daily
- Organic operation and newly established orchard
- Alpaca chosen and bred for their calm, friendly temperament. Visitors are able to get up close with the farm animals and handling in the petting areas
- Known for its unique collection of rare coloured llamas in NZ, including appaloosa, leopard, and grey
- NZ’s largest carding machine – 1935 – which will be up and running soon, customers may get to view in operation
The Shop showcases alpaca and mohair products including alpaca duvets and pillows, rugs, scarves, hats, baby wear and a range of teddy bears. Alpaca fibre can be of a very fine soft handling micron, is low-allergenic and has a high thermal rating
Open by appointment (usually available, 7 days between 10am to 5pm, undercover yards available in wet weather)
Half Hour Tour – introduction, meet the animals, photography opportunities, question and answer time, and shop visit.
$15 per head / minimum 4
One Hour Tour – (allow one and a half hours) – As above plus get up close and in the paddock with alpaca and farm animals with the opportunity to feed them. Bottle feeding babies (seasonal). Hill top farm tour to the ridge of the property and view across to Hobbiton/Matamata area and Maungatautari. Depending on time of the year you may be able to view alpaca shearing, view milking of cows or goats, fruit sampling from the organic orchard trees.
$35 per head / minimum 4
Children under 8 years free with paying adult
Large groups catered for by arrangement