There are loads of fun things to do in and around Cambridge these school holidays. Check it out!
1. FREE: Go adventuring! Walk around the Cambridge green belt or river trails, up Mangakawa, or, for the more adventurous, hike up Pirongia and stay in a Hut overnight. Head to the Cambridge i-SITE for resources to explore safely… Free Cambridge Map, Outdoor Kids Guide, Four Mountains Map, Pirongia Hut Tickets ($5 adults $2.50 kids), Pirongia and Te Aroha Hiking Maps and more.
3. FREE: On your bike – Avantidrome pump track, Te Awa River ride, Te Miro and Pirongia bike parks are all free and FUN. Plus we have a brand new world class Pump Track, Dominion Ave. If you do need to hire a bike – talk to us – we have all options covered.
4. FREE: Waikato River Trails – excellent for a walk or a bike ride, grab hot chocolates and yummy food at Rhubarb Café Arapuni.
5. Visit an Alpaca Farm – and you will also get to see Bison, Llamas, Goats, Miniature Donkeys, Blacknose Sheep, and more. Priced from $60 for four people. Contact the Cambridge i-SITE for more information (07-823-3456)
6. Visit the “cutest sheep in the world” – Valais Blacknose Sheep. Spring is the perfect time to visit as Lambs are available to view and play with. You will also meet their Gyspy Vanner Horses and the chooks! Contact the Cambridge i-SITE for more information (07-823-3456)
11. Sanctuary Mountain – Sanctuary Mountain Maungatautari is a world class conservation project that aims to continue species re-introductions and breeding programmes to create biodiversity in a sound ecological environment. At 3400 hectares, it is one of the largest pest-proof fenced projects in the world. This pest-proof fence is 47km long and offers a safe haven for many of New Zealand’s most endangered species – from birds to bats, frogs to reptiles, tuatara to giant weta.
13. Jet Boat Trip with Camjet Cambridge – the kids will love this one! Choose from thrills and spills or a more serene ecological trip on the Mighty Waikato. www.camjet.co.nz
14. Cambridge Mini Golf – 11 Campbell Street, Leamington. Enjoy a unique themed course and treasure hunt these school holidays. 18 hole course, achievable for all ages 2 and up, great family fun. Picnic table area where you can enjoy your own food. Open Tuesday-Sunday 10am -5pm through the School Holidays. Check their facebook page for more info – Cambridge Mini Golf
15. Cambridge Farmers Market – Victoria Square 8am-12noon – every Saturday.
16. Miniature Trains, Leamington Domain, Wordsworth Street. Children under 5 ride free with an accompanied fare paying passenger. Trains operate every Sunday of the month 10am – 2pm weather permitting. Single ride ($2) or concession tickets available. For live updates to check if they are running – head to their Facebook Page.
Come and see our friendly staff at Cambridge i-SITE for information on the above and more – we are your FREE resource so you can enjoy our town! We are in the Town Hall, cnr of Queen & Victoria Streets, Cambridge / 07 823 3456 / www.cambridge.co.nz
Cambridge is close to some of New Zealand's major international attractions like Hobbiton, Waitomo Caves, Hamilton Gardens and Tauranga. Yet with plenty of unique local attractions, events and dining options - and a friendly, relaxed town ambience - you may not want to leave!
1 hr 45 min