Happy New Year to all of our Waka Ama whānau. We hope you have all had some quality time spent with loved ones over the recent weeks.
With careful consideration we have decided that it is suitable for this year’s regatta to be run as a one-day W1 event on Saturday 22nd January 2022, Lake Karāpiro.
We know it has and continues to be a challenging time for our Waka Ama whānau. Due to COVID, there have been many disruptions and cancellations and we want to acknowledge those affected by these – not only the paddlers but our clubs, volunteers and wider Waka Ama whānau.
Due to Covid-19 restrictions for events in alignment with the COVID Protection Framework – Orange Level, Te Puku o Te Ika Regional Regatta, has to follow the government and Mighty River Domain guidelines to ensure the safety of everyone involved. We appreciate your consideration and appliance with the following details.
● Vaccine Passports required for all persons at the event, over 12 years 3 months of age
● Races will be grouped into allocated times (TBC)
○ Saturday 22nd January – W1’s only
● All waka need to be sanitised if being used by multiple people.
Runs will fit within the timeframes allocated for each age group and to ensure we allow for fair opportunities to qualify for those with intentions to make the Worlds team. If entrants for divisions are less than the quota we will combine divisions that fall under quota, to allow for opportunities to have a timed paddle. These divisions will be notified when the draw is sent out.
Runs will be as follows:
● 6 lanes per race
○ Golden Masters – 2 runs
○ Intermediate – 1 run only
○ Juniors – 2 runs
○ Open 23’s – 2 runs
○ Premier/Masters/70/75/80+ – 2 runs per event
○ Dash (if time allows)
250M Dash Races
● The fastest 36 times across all races for the day will paddle the 250m dash heats.