Cambridge has a 17.6 hectare park complete with lake only minutes from the centre of town.
The Cambridge Domain, established in 1880, provides seven walking tracks from street level to Lake Te Koo Utu, providing walkers with differing levels of gradient and scenery.
Lake Te Koo Utu was treasured by Maori in pre-European days, taking eels, koura and fresh water from the 5.3-hectare lake whose name translates to "ladle dipping into water."
The grounds are filled with trees, many of them rarities planted by members of the local Trees Trust. Notable trees include the Cedar of Lebanon, kauris, large chestnuts, oaks and planes. In 1962, a Camelia grove was planted and provides a burst of colour every spring.
The main entrance and car parking is off Albert Street at the lower end of the domain. If starting at the top of the park, across the road from St Andrew's Church, enter via the Memorial Gates, erected in 1911.
The different pathways are named after former chairmen of the domain board.